Information
Short History of the Reconstruction work of the temples and buildings at Shree Sansthan Zambaulim

Shree Damodar Devasthan was originally founded in Mathagram, later known as Madgaon. Due to the temple destruction campaign started by the Portguese rulers in Sasashti Taluka in the year 1567, the Mahajans from Madgaon shifted the local deities, viz., Shree Ramnath, Damodar, Laxmi-Narayan, Chamundeshwari, Mahakali, Mahesh, etc to Zambaulim. The Desais of Rivona helped the Mahajans and gave them land for the construction of temples as well as Vatan which is being paid even today.

Records about the date of construction of the original Shree Damodar temple at Zambaulim and the dates of posterior extensions or reconstructions of the temples therein upto 1885, are not, so far, available.

In 1885, the Mahajans decided to reconstruct the temple as it was found to be very old and unsafe. By 1895, most of the construction work was ready and copper sheets were fixed at the top of the roof to give it added strength and beauty.

It was found that the Pindika of Shree Damodar needed replacement and in 1915 the same was replaced with due religious celebrations. This event took place on the Chaitra Shuddha Shashti and it is commemorated every year as Pindika Jirmoddhar Day.

In 1934, the construction of the Front Building costing about Rs.27226/- was completed. The money required for this work was collected by way of donations from Mahajans and non-Mahajans. Shri Mahadev Shrinivas Shenavi Bhobe Cacule of Panjam contributed a sum of Rs.7247.25 towards the building fund and was granted the privilege of a residence on that building for himself and the members of his family during the main festivals at the temple.

In the same year the Vanabhijan Agrashala costing about Rs.3015/- was constructed out of the donation made but Shri Gopal Krishna Nagarkar of Mangalore. Thereafter , the work of reconstruction of Shree Mulvir temple was carried out by Shri Mahadev Shrinivas Bhobe Cacule by spending more than Rs.2500/- and later improvements were made out donation given by Shri Shridhar Pandurang Shenavi Bhobe Cacule of Panjim.

In 1947, Shri Venkatesh Narayan Shenavi Bhobe, of Ribandar, spent more than Rs. 10,000/- for the reconstruction of Sree Ramnath temple and Shrimati Premavatibai Padmanabha Shenavi Bhobe, of Margao, donated Rs. 5000/- towards the expenses of construction of Shree Devi temples.

The longfelt need of decent accommodation for the stay of visitors now received top priority and the Mahajan Sabha held on 9-10-1949 resolved to raise funds out of donations from Mahajans, Gramasthas and Devotees and launch the construction of a two storied Agrashala containing 25 flats at an estimated cost of 1.5 lakhs of rupees. A Construction Committee consisting of the following members was appointed under the presidentship of Shri Mahadev Shrinivas Shenavi Bhobe Cacle, Vaman Baburao Shenavi Bhobe, Vasudev Datta Hegde, Ramachandra Pandurang Shenavi Ghode, Bhagwant Vinayak Shenavi Bhobe, Venkatesh Narayan Shenavi Dukle and Shrikrishna Govind Shenavi Bhobe, Sarasvati Madahv Vihvanath Sambari and S.K. Shanbhag were appointed as members of Committee.

In order to attract sizable donations it was decided to grant the privilege of a particular residence during all the principal festivities including Shimga in case of Gramastha donors and excluding Shimga in case of other donors if their donation exceeded the sum of Rs.3000/-. The following persons availed of this facility:-

Sarvashri B. Manjunath Pai, Karkala, Vaman Baburao Shenavi Bhobe, Panjim, Damodar Visnu Shenavi Dukle, Panjim; Datta Anant Shenavi Agni & Brothers, Panjim, Narayan Ganesh Prabhu Zantya, Bicholim, Damodar Appa Shenoy & Brothers, Mudbiri, Vithaldas, Venkatdas Shanbag & Brothers, Bombay, Narcinva Damodar Naik, Margao, Bola Dasappa & Narcinha Kamat, Bombay, Shridhar Pandurag , Shenavi Bhobe Cacule, Panjim, Janardan Dattatraya Zarapkar , Mapusa, Venkatesh Shrinivas Shenavi Dhempe, Panjim, Kashinath Pandurang Shet Parkar, Margao, Shantidas Khushaldas & Brothers, MArgao, Rajaram Narayan Shet Bandekar, Vasco, Lotlikar Brothers, Margao, Gurupadappa Sidlingappa Bagewadi, Madahv Vishvanath Sambari, Margao,Vishvanath Sambari, Margao, Vishnu Narayan, Rama Yeshwant and Kashinath Damodar Naik & Brothers, Margao and Nagappa Shenoy and Sons, Bombay.

It was also resolved to grant the privilege of one room during the Shimga festival only, to every Gramastha donor whose donation exceeded Rs.1000/-. The following Gramasthas took advantage of this benefit:-

Sarvashri Visvanath Pandurang Ghode & Brothers, Krishnappa Grimlappa Lokure, Ramachandra Govind Pai Raiturkar, Dattatraya Yeshwant Sadekar, Pandurang Baburao Malkarnekar, Datta Kiri Kare, Jairam Jagannath Katkar, Baburao Pandurang & Hari Laxman Pai , Raiturkar, Jagannath Raghuvir Pai Sambari, Pandharinath Shabu Pai Sambari Tukaram Pandurang Shet Parkar, Verlekar Brothers, Narayan Sakaram Patnekar, Ramchand Kevelchand Doshi and Yeshwant Vishnu Pai Raiturkar.

The only works that now remained to be undertaken were the reconstruction of Sabhamandap and the main Devalaya. Shri Gangadhar Narsingdas Agrawal, of Margao conveyed to the Managing Committee his willingness to construct the Sabhamandap as an offering to Lord Damodar and this generous offer was approved by the Mahajan Sabha on 9-4-1965. The foundation stone was laid by Shri Gangadhar Agarwal on 10-9-1965 and the building was completed within a year. The plans were drawn by Architect D.M.Bavle of Hubli and the construction work directed by Shri. S.N.Shanbhag, a partner of Shri Ramnath Construction Co. of Hubli. The cost of the Sabhamandap amounts to Rs.1, 25000/- approximately.

On 11-10-1965 the Mahajan Sabha appointed a Reconstruction Committee under the Presidentship of Shri Damodar Vishnu Shenavi Dukle, President of the Managing Committee of the Devalaya. It was entrusted the task of collecting funds, getting the plans of the new temple and having the reconstruction work executed. This Committee collected funds from North Korea, South Kanara, Belgium and Bombay.

In the Mahajan Sabha which was held on 19-8-1968 the Reconstruction Committee was urged to initiate immediately the reconstruction work and collect funds from Mahajans the Gramasthas in Goa. Since it was felt convenient that the post of President of Managing Committee and that of President of Reconstruction Committee be occupied by the same person, Shri Shrinivas Upendra Shenavi Bhobe Cacule, President of the Managing Committee, was appointed President of the Reconstruction Committee. The number of members of the Reconstruction Committee was increased by 10 including 4 engineers and 1 architect.

Architect Subhashchandra Narayan Bhobe and Eng. Damodar Narayan Bhobe of Messrs. S.N. Bhobe & Associates, Panjim & Bombay, prepared the plans of the new temple and R.C.C. designs respectively, without charging any fee.

In September, 1968 tenders were invited for the construction of the new temple and the work adjudicated to Messrs. Espee Constructions of Margao. Shri Sushikumar Jhanji, partner of that firm, directed the work of reconstruction. The Foundation Stone of the new temple was laid on 1-1-1969 and the building completed in October 1972. After oracular consultation the �Prasad & Shikhar Kalash Pratishta� of the new temple was fixed to be celebrated on 13-12-1972.

This work has been possible on account of help from thousands of people. It is not possible to mention their names here on account of lack of space. However, it is in our hands to record here our gratitude towards everyone who has donated to the Reconstruction Fund which helped the Committee in the collection of funds, made valuable technical suggestion or helped the reconstruction work in other way.

This tremendous task has been undertaken under the inspiration of Lord Damodar and completed without any hitch by His Grace on the auspicious day of Prasad & Shrikhar Kalash Pratishta on Margashirsh Shukla Saptami Shake 1894. This uncommon piece of work, common people will be offered at the feet of Lord Damodar in the august presence of Their Holiness Shri Gokarn-Partagali, Mathadish-Shrimat Dwarkanath Tirth, Shri Kashi Mathadhish-Shrimat Sudhindra Tirtha and Shri Kaivalya Mathadish-Shrimat Satchidanand Saraswati.
Old history of Shree Damodar Devasthan by Late Purushottam S.B. Cacule.

Lord Parshurama defeated the Kshtariyas 21 times and gave the conquered territory to the Brahmins. He created a stretch of land to the south of Vaitarana river and west of Sahyadri mountains 1200 miles long and 36 miles wide. In this land, they built the famous Tirthas (holy places) of Vimal, Nirmal, Khadir, Harihareshwar(near Bankot), Mukteshwar, Valukesh (Walkeshwar), Banganga, Saraswati and in the south those have Kushasthali (Cortalim), Mathagram (Madgaon), Goraksha kund at Gomachal (Govem), Ram kund , Kadumal etc.

Once Shri Parshurama invited some Brahmins for Shraddha. As they did not come to his place he became angry and brought from Trihotrapur, in Panch Gaud region, Brahmins belonging to different gotras (Bharadwaj, Kaushik, Vatsa, Kaundinya, Kashyap, Vasishtha, Jamadagni, Vishwamitra, Gautam and Atri). He settled then in Mathagram, Gomanchal, Panchkroushi, Kushasthali and others Kshetras (holy places) in Gomantak and installed the deities such as Mangesh, Mahadeo, Mahalaxmi, Mahalasa, Nagesh, Saptakoteshwar,etc. By worshipping these deities one can expiate all sins. This belief is recorded in the Skandha Purana and it is told to Kartika Swami by Lord Shankara.

In Gomantak Kshetra, at Kukkon (Kukalnem), there is a river at Goapuri as famous as the big rivers like Kashi, Bhima, Ganga, Godavari etc. It is recorded in the Puranas that a man who visits Goapuri expiates the sins of his earlier lives. One who wishes to bathe in river attains Vaikunth and a person who actually bathes there Uddhar (salvation) for 21 generations of his family. There is no other Kshetra like Goapuri and the Brahmins residing there are very learned and religious.

Many of the places described in the Skandha Purana can still be seen in Goa. Goapuri is now known as Govem (Old Goa) and there many Tirthas there. The place where they are situated is known as Brahmapuri. Gomuk Tirtha, Jatha Tirtha are some of the Tirthas there.

Saptakoteshwar Tirtha is situated on the river about 2 miles from Narvem. On the day of Gokul Ashtami thousands of devotees gather there for the Darshana and holy bathing. The original temple of Shri Atakeshwar is believed to be underneath the deep waters there.

On the western seashore in Candolim, Sinkeri and Aguada are 2 places where there are forts. In Sinkeri, inside the fort, there is a beautiful lake known as The Lake of Gargeshwar. There is big Linga inside the Lake. At Aguada, there is a mineral spring which is reputed to have medicinal properties. Candolim is supposed to be derived from word �Cadavali� because this name appears in the Government archive of the 15th century. It is presumed that Shri Ramachandra must have crossed his territory on his way to Lanka. The names of places mentioned in Ramayana such as the Ashramas of Gautam, Garg, Shring, Agasti Rishis, Rishivana, Murgaon, Supem (the place of Shurpanakha) and Mandave and Aghanashini rivers are found in Goa and this supports the above theory. In the village of Rivona (Rishivana) in Sanguem Taluka there is a beautiful temple of Shri Vimaleshwar. On the other side there is a Vaishnava Matha and Samadhi Vrindavana. At the top of a hill in this village there are nestiges of residence of Pandavas in the past. The place is called �Pandavas Plateau� and there are carved caves attributed to them. There are also signs of the place where the Pandavas used to perform their Yadnyas. In this village, there is a ward called �Zambaulim� which was the capital of kings of Saundem. Later they transferred their capital to Bandora in Ponda taluka. There are still some signs of these olden times visible at Zambaulim.

Due to the temple destruction campaign launched by the Portuguese rulers in Sasasthi taluka in the year 1567, the Mahajanas from Margaon shifted the local deities viz. Shri Ramnath, Damodar, Laxmi-Narayan, Chamundeshwari, Mahakali, Mahesh etc to Zambaulim. The Desais of Rivona helped the Mahajanas and gave them land for the construction of temple as well as a �Vatan� which is being payed even today.

The temple of Shree Ramnath was situated in the �Rumdi� ward of Madgaon. A lake can still be seen there. The temple of Shree Damodswas situated in the �Mhadda� ward at Madgaon. The temple of Shri Chamundeshwari was situated in the �Comba� ward of Margaon. A lake can still be seen there. No information is available of the original location in Madgaon of the temples of Shree Mulvir Purusha and Shri Gomeshwar. Evidence is available showing that there were located at different places.

(Shree Saunsthan Zambaulim, 1909)
Rituals and Ceremonials
Daily Programme

05.00 a.m. Naubat
05.30 a.m. Nirmalya Visarjana
08.30 a.m. Commencement of Devakrityas
12.30 p.m. Isharat
12.45 p.m. Arati & Maha Naivedya
06.30 p.m. Naubat
07.30 p.m. Purana
08.30 p.m. Isharat
08.45 p.m. Arati and Naivedya

Shibikotsav
On every Monday night there is a Shibikotsav of Shree Damodar at 8:30 p.m. The idol of Shree Damodar is taken in a Palkhi to the temple of Shree Ramnath. After Arati, it is taken around the main temple and during the procession fourteen halts are made. At about 11:00 p.m. it is taken back to the mail temple. At every halt there is recitation of Bhajanas, Mangalashtakas etc.

After the Palakhi is brought back to the Chowk, the idol is carried to the Garbhagar and Arati is performed. Thereafter Arati is performed in the Shree Devi temple.

Prasad (Kaul)
Since the ancient system of seeking �Prasad� (oracle) for the purpose of obtaining clarification of some unknown facts, is still found to be very effective, great importance is attached to �Prasad� of Shree Damodar and a large number of devotees go there for this purpose.

Flowers of �Tumba� are stuck by means of water to a Linga made of yellow metal. A fallen flower cannot be replaced until the end of each Prasad Puja. Prasad cannot be obtained on Mondays, Amavasyas and on the main days of festivals.
Important ceremonials

Chaitra Shuddha Pratipada Sanvatsar Pratipada
Chaitra Shuddha Shasthi to Navami Pindika Jirnoddhar Din, Ram Janmotsav
Vaishakh Shuddha Paurnima Vasant Puja
Vaishakh Vadya Pratipada Vasant Puja
Shravana All Mondays in the month
Shravana Shuddha Paurnima Shravani
Bhadrapada Shuddha Panchami Nava Panchami
Bhadrapada Shuddha Chaturdashi Anant Chaturdashi
Ashwin Shuddha Pratipada Ghata Sthapana
Ashwin Shuddha Pratipada Ghata Sthapana
Ashwin Shuddha Navami Maha Navami
Ashwin Shuddha Dashami Simollanghan Dassara
Ashwin Vadya Chaturthi Paurnima-Maha Parvani,Ceremonics for 5 days
Ashwin Vadya Dwadashi Gurudwadashi
Kartika Shuddha Paurnima Dhatri Pujan, Vana Pujan, Lalakhi etc,
Kartika Vadya Pratipada Kala
Kartika Vadya Dvitia Gopal Kala, Avabhritsnan
Magha Vadya Trayodashi Maha Shivaratri
Falguna Shuddha Pratipada Rathotsav
Falguna Shuddha Paurnima Holi
Falguna Vadya Seven days Shishirotsav
Deities
The deities of the temple are Shri Ramnath, Shri Chamundeshwari, Shri Mahakali and Shri Mahesh that together form the Panchista Parivar. The temple also houses Shri Laxminarayan, Shri Mulvir, Shri Gomeshwar and Shri Nirakar among other deities.

Shri Ramnath
All auspicious ceremonies commence here. The devotees pray at Shri Ramnath temple before visiting Shri Damodar. Lord Ramnath, who is an incarnation of Lord Vishnu is worshipped by Panchamrut Abhishek everyday.

Shri Chamundeshwari, Shri Mahakali and Shri Mahesh along with Shri Damodar and Shri Laxminarayan form the Panchista Parivar.
Shri Laxminarayan
Shri Laxminarayan is a rupa of Lord Vishnu. It is said that Lord Vishnu is to be worshipped after the aarti of Mahadev (Shri Damodar). Hence, Shri Laxminarayan is worshipped after the aarti of Shri Damodar.

Shri Mulvir and Shri Gomeshwar
Both Shri Mulvir and Shri Gomeshwar reside in the same temple just besides the Shri Ramnath temple. Shri Mulvir is worshipped by devotees belonging to Bharadwaj gotra. Shri Gomeshwar is worshipped by devotees belonging to Kaushik gotra.

Shri Nirakar
Shri Nirakar is mainly worshipped by devotees belonging to the Kashyap Gotra.
Shri Mahesh Shri Mahakali Shri Chamundeshwari
Shri Laxminarayan Shri Mulvir and Shri Gomeshwar Shri Nirakar
Devkrityas

1 Panchamritabhishek (Prabhu Hegde, Shenvi) Rs. 1.25
2 Panchamritabhishek Rs. 5.00
3 Naivedya Rs. 1.00
4 Bramhan-Suvasini (Each) Rs. 0.50
5 Brahman-Suvasini Santarpan Rs. 1.50
6 Avartan Rs. 1.00
7 Fulanchi Pooja Rs. 125.00
8 Ranga Pooja Rs. 375.00
9 Ekadashni Rs. 2.00
10 Laghurudra Rs. 15.00
11 Maharudra Rs. 110.00
12 Pavamanabhishek Rs. 2.00
13 Laghubishnoo Rs. 35.00
14 Mahavishnoo Rs. 0.50
15 Ashtottar Bel Rs.2.00
16 Ashtottar Tulsi Rs. 2.50
17 Sahara Namavali Bel Rs. 10.00
18 Sahasra Namavali Tulsi Rs.10.00
19 Kumkumarchan Ashtottar Rs. 2.00
20 Kumkumarchan Sahasra Namavali Rs. 5.00
21 Otti Rs. 21.00
22 Khichadi Rs. 25.00
23 Tailamardan Rs. 16.00
24 Jyoti Diwas Rs. 1.00
25 Ganapati Atharvashirsh Rs. 1.00
26 Vishnoo Sahasranamavali Rs. 1.00
27 Laxminarayan Hruday Rs. 2.00
28 Kavach Argala Tilak Rs. 2.00
29 Shiv Kavach/ Hanamanth Kavach Rs. 1.00
30 Chindipath with Kavach Argala Rs. 5.25
31 Shrisukta Rs. 1.00
32 Fulanche Tat Rs. 1.50
33 Homhani Rs. 5.00
34 Tulabhar Rs. 1.00
35 Navachandi (Simple) Rs. 40.00
36 Navachandi (with Pallav) Rs. 75.00
37 Navachandi (Havanadwara) Rs. --
38 Shatachandi Rs. --
39 Kanuk for Silver Palki Rs. 51.00
40 Alankar Rs. 51.00
41 Amanya Rs. 15.00
42 Hanumant Kavach Rs. 1.00
Kanuk Rs. --
Pathshala Nidhi Rs. --
Postage Rs. --
Designation Name Contact
President Shri Manjunath Srinnivas Pai Dukle +91 9822101001
Treasurer Shri Ashwin Ashok Shenvi Bhobe -
Attorney Shri Prakash Srinnivas Shenvi Kunde +91 9422444591
Secretary Shri Sandesh Naracinva Hegde Dessai +91 9860032206

Designation Name Contact
President Shri Atchut Govind Hedge Dessai -
Treasurer Shri Gopalkrishna Ramachandra Pai Dukle -
Attorney Shri Abhay Pundalik Shenvi Agni -
Secretary Shri Ashok Prabhakar Hedge -